Wednesday 25 May 2011

A Positive Accident.

It was strange, the other day I was busy editing and accidentally deleted a few words, but it was enough to throw me.
So I fetched the original copy of the book, [which incidentally had been published,] and went to the same place and found the section I needed. After replacing it, I read a little from the old book and found myself thinking, actually you are that bad. Okay maybe not as professional as I hope the new edited version will be. Nevertheless, there was a naive honesty which I found appealing and details that I have since decided to incorporate into the new version.
Thorough editing as I have since learned is paramount, if a book is to be of a professional quality. However, it is also important not to lose ones voice. To hold onto the sincere honesty found in the books pages. To keep alive the essence that made the book important to the author in the first place. The reason the book was written and what the author was trying to say, can be lost in the editing process if one is not careful.
 I am so glad I deleted that small section, and realized that the first book was in all honesty not that bad. Now I can take what is good from the one and combine it in the new and God willing end up with a well written quality product I can be proud of. A book that will be read and enjoyed for years to come.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment