Thursday 28 February 2013

Dreamlander by K.M. Weiland

I loved this book and gave it five stars. This is my review. I’m not going to do a breakdown of the story of Dreamlander, because a number of reviewers have already done that. What I am going to say is WOW!!! This is an amazing fantasy. It is so intense and powerful, while at the same time there are moments of humour thanks to a sweet little character called Pitch. He became a favourite of mine, along with Orias Tarn the Charazii warrior. There are a large cast of characters in the book, but the writing is so good that I lost track of no one. In the beginning of the book the main character Chris Redston was understandably anxious and unwilling to embrace his calling as the gifted to the dream world of Lael. His desire to return to his own world forces him to do something that brings about disaster in both worlds, and he finds himself thrust into a war that is both grisly and terrifying. At first I found Chris frustrating, but I grew to like him more as the story progressed. I was impressed by the way the writer moved so fluidly from one world to the other. It could have been a disaster, but it worked brilliantly. The writing is so descriptive that I felt myself drawn into the scenes of war. One could almost hear the clash of swords…the thunder of gunfire, and the screams of the dying and injured men and horses. The conclusion of the story took me by surprise, but nevertheless I loved it. Dreamlander is an emotional roller coaster ride. However, like all good rides you feel exhilarated and satisfied at the end of it. It’s a great book and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment