Friday 20 April 2012

Small section from A Puzzling Reflection.

I thought I would share a little more with you from 'A Puzzling Reflection.' The book I'm in the process of editing. Obviously with each editing process things get deleted or added, as the case maybe.
So this could all change or even disappear.
For some reason I find it quite helpful separating a section from the main manuscript. It helps me to see the errors.
I'm enjoying the editing process, as I love spending time with these particular characters, especially Stagman. :) Mind you whether I'll still feel the same a few months down the road, is a mute point. Especially as the time to publish gets closer. :)

                                                 A small section from the book

Stagman finished eating and tidied away the leftovers. Taking the empty bottles provided by Martha, he strode to the water’s edge.

     Irene followed him. She gazed up at the night sky. “This place is awesome; just look at all those stars. I could stay here forever,” she said wistfully.

Stagman looked at her sympathetically. “I’m sorry Irene; once we know where the box is and how to retrieve it, we must move on.” He took her hand and gently squeezed it.

Irene sighed. For a while, she didn’t want to think about the stolen box or their mission. She just wanted to enjoy the beauty and peace of Mercy Falls. “I know you’re right,” she said. Tears pricked at the back of her eyes.

Stagman could hear the sadness in her voice. He put his arm round her shoulders and drew her close. For a while they stood together gazing at the lake. The still waters darkened by the night sky, mirrored the flames of their camp fire.

As they stood there a huge shadow skimmed overhead.

“It looks like Zenith has returned,” said Stagman. He took Irene’s hand and led her back to the fire.

Ezekiel and Psalm greeted them with excitement.

“Zenith has news,” said Ezekiel.

 Zenith stood tall. “Indeed I have…news which is good and bad.”

Stagman studied Zenith’s face; noting the concerned expression and subtle darkness in the eagles golden eyes.

Zenith frowned and lowered his head. He knows I don’t need to tell him.

Stagman shuddered imperceptibly. A chill went through his body as the hairs on the back of his neck rose. With clenched fists and every muscle taught, he faced Zenith. “Tell me,” he demanded. “Tell me everything—everything!”

No comments:

Post a Comment