Friday 9 March 2012

Book Reading Success!

Yesterday, the 8th. I did a public book reading from my first novel The Shadowed Valley. I was invited to have lunch first, with the reading to follow. As I enjoyed my meal and gazed around at those who would listen to me read, I began to feel my confidence ebb away. Most were rather elderly and I wondered how they would take to a fantasy story. I whispered as much to my husband, but he quickly reassured me.
"But the room's quite big and it's obvious some of the people here are a little deaf," I whispered. As I finished speaking the minister came into the room carrying a small radio mike.
"There you are," said hubby. "They'll hear you, stop worrying."
And he was right, we had a wonderful time. One or two of my listeners dozed off, nevertheless, the reading went well and I sold ten of the fifteen books I had taken with me.
My audience enjoyed it. And said how nice it was to have someone read to them. It reminded them of school days, when the teacher would read to the class. An experience I fondly remember myself.
It was a lovely way to spend an afternoon, and I look forward to repeating the experience again soon.







5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a stellar way to spend an afternoon to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Yes it was Pegg. And I sold ten of the fifteen books I took! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine doing a reading, it would be weird.

    Can you imagine the write of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo reading to an audience like that? I would be shuffling awkwardly at the, er, awkward scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Yes you certainly would. But The Shadowed Valley is pretty safe, although dark in parts, but I only read two chapters. :)
    Must admit when I saw my audience I felt a bit concerned. I couldn't imagine fantasy being there thing. But I sold ten copies so you just never know what's going to happen!
    Book readings are fun, and a great way to meet people.

    ReplyDelete